Friday, November 6, 2009

Start the engines!

JetDroid projectBack in the 1990s when PC's were all gray boxes full of Microsoft DOS or Windows it was a unique pleasure to bring Linux to these poor machines. Compiling kernels with modified device drivers was mostly unavoidable and I enjoyed beeing among these brave people setting their foot onto new operating system grounds.

What has changed since then? The PC's are more colourful now but they are still dominated by operating systems from Redmont. Compiling kernels is no longer necessary if you want ro run Linux on a PC. Installing a modern distribution is now a matter of a few keypresses and just a couple of minutes.

So, where has the fun and the kernel compiling gone? Has it disappeared? I beleive it has not. It has just moved to smaller devices. Mobile phones are now as powerfull computers as the gray box PC's were in the 1990's. And now, as Linux starts to spread on these mobile platforms it is about time to heat up your compilers again and to boldly go where no man has gone before ...

Having said this, it is time for you to enjoy the JetDroid project! It attempts to bring Google Android to the Samsung Jét (S8000) phone and is a small 90's linux revival project. Have Fun!

7 comments:

  1. im really annoyed about the os in this imo powerfull jet phone, it deserves a better os. the most perfect and interesting os would be android. it has so many benefits compared to the crappy touchwiz os. the best of all: IT'S OPEN SOURCE! :) before samsung launched the jet it was rumored it should be preinstalled with android.. what happen to that? :/ anyway, ill keep an eye on your project and hopefully you will be succeed to make it to an android powered phone :) keep up he good work and good luck, wish i could help you but im not an engineer or something like that.
    /Mr.V1co

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I have a Jet also, good phone but limited by the OS. I would like to help but do not have the skillset you need. I hope the Nexus lauch today drives even more interest in Android which should filter to your project. Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi to everyone, I'm italian and I haven't got a Jet: I've got an S5230, a Samsung Star. Me and samsungs5230.forumcommunity.net are trying to load Android on our mobile phone, but I've seen that android isn't loadable by using Linux because Google's kernel was removed from Linux Kernels on kernel.org ... I'm not sure of that, because I think that if we download an old version of android (before of 6.2.33) we'll be able to use it! I'm very bored from touchwiz os :( everyone can add me on argolinux@live.it , I hope you'll add me!!
    Bye,
    Argolinux

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dopi,
    I want to install Android on my Samsung Jet. Can you give me the URL of the last tutorial to install Jetdroid on my S8000? I would really appreciate it.
    Thank you,
    Jmp6212@moc.edu

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please can someone porting Android to the Samsung GT-S5230

    I'm trying not I More

    researched on various sites and niguém could, hopefully here has an expert in porting Android

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Dopi,
    ich möchte in den download mode aber egal welche tastenkombination ich drücke wird der jetdroid mode geöffnet.
    Ich habe die SD Karte formatiert.
    Was muss ich noch machen?

    Vielen Dank

    ReplyDelete