Saturday, September 26, 2009

A closer look at an OLED display

The revolutionary Amoled Display was one of the reasons why I bought a Samsung Jét phone. My first impression (after beeing stunned by the bright, coloful and crisp image) was: Wow do they get this many pixels on such a small area? Are there really 480x800 dots on a 3.1 inch display? My second observation was that sometimes black text on a white background looked blurry on the edges. It actually looked like a badly adjusted convergence setting in the old days of CRT displays.

All these oberavations called of a closer look at the display. This was easily done by peeking at the phone with a microscope. The result was interesting and suprising to me.

First of all there are really 480x800 pixels in this display. At least when it comes to green pixels. As the picture reveals the number of red and blue dots is just halve the number of green ones. This pattern gives a good explanation why some sharp-contrast edges may look blue- or redish. And as I understand the human eyes are more sensitive to green information. A higher number of green pixels makes sure that our eyes see a sharp image.

Although I personally don't like the idea of being cheap on pixels it seem to be very common for OLED displays. Honestly even after knowing this I am still impressed by this high resultion and ther color quality of this display. So, this time the pixel-saving is okay for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment